Odpovědět na komentář

Minister defends wa

Minister defends wa extraditions over alleged torture by officers

The former Guantanamo Bay detention centre commander, now at a Florida prison, is facing the possibility of having to serve his sentence overseas after being charged on Monday with abuse of process.

As well as the alleged torture and ill-treatment of detainees, a Canadian police officer may also be on trial for his part in what prosecutors say was a scheme to hide information from an investigation into a police brutality case.

At a news conference Monday, Ontario Provincial Police Chief Michael Sanguinetti, who led the investigation that led to his charges, said it was "incredibly disturbing" that Mr. Alcock was extradited despite the fact his lawyers had secured a permanent order of removal. Mr. Sanguinetti declined to give details of the investigation into the charges.

Story continues below advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Alcock was sentenced in 2013 to a prison term of nearly five years for the abuse and killing of his fellow Guantanamo Bay inmates in Afghanistan. In 2015, the court found that his actions were "systematically coercive," leading to the death of five detainees, most of whom he tortured.

Since then, Mr. Alcock has been held in a special cell at the Ottawa Remand Centre, in part because of allegations that he has been refusing food that prisoners are forced to eat. The province says more than 100 detainees at the facility have also been treated in ways "disappointing, unacceptable and not consistent with the treatment of all prisoners of conscience."

The Crown has argued that there is no indication of wrongdoing by Mr. Alcock. The defence has argued that, on the contrary, the allegations in Mr. Alcock's extradition to Canada were motivated by fears of retaliation against detainees.

Story continues below advertisement

The charges, announced at a news conference, relate to two incidents in which Mr. Alcock allegedly beat inmates in the spring of 2009 and 2010 while on duty as a detective in the Ottawa police. The investigations into those incidents were suspended for two years and resulted in the two prisoners being charged in relation to a second attack on inmates in 2011. The pair were found guilty by a jury of aggravated assault and attempted murder – allegations Mr. Alcock denied. He is also facing one count of obstructing justice, two counts of assault and two counts of mischief in relation to a similar incident in 2011.

"These offences happened under the watch of someone with a great deal of power to intimidate people," he told the Ottawa Citizen in July. "There wasn't any suggestion in the court that this person had anything to do with this case."

Mr. Alcock was appointed as the police force's chief of staff in June 2008, but became the authority o
우리카지노
온카지노

Philip ruddocks sacking from chief whip is scapegoating says mp

David Davis has admitted it is now necessary for some MPs to be ousted from senior posts in order to get rid of the Tories in government.

He said there needed to be a "mover" in place before other MPs could be targeted by "a few bad apples".

He admitted to Sky News's Andrew Marr that he had sacked some senior aides for their mismanagement of the government.

The Tory minister said there were a number of MPs who were still "under the thumb of the coalition government".

"If you're not fit to be prime minister you can get your own way," he said.

Analysis

Image copyright AP

By Richard Galpin, BBC home affairs correspondent

It's often said that the most important decision a prime minister makes is not whether he wins or loses, but when he does win it.

That is what ministers often do when confronted by a crisis.

With the election over, and ministers saying the election was "the most important political moment" in recent memory, there is now talk about reshuffling ministers.

But David Davis has a rather different idea about what needs to happen.

He would not want to be the "mover" in a reshuffle, he told Sky News's Andrew Marr.

But he insisted that ministers, including the justice secretary, would not have to be removed for the snap election to pass.

"I can't imagine anyone being removed for the election if we're going to take us out of the European Union," he said.

Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption David Davis: "Any time you have an opportunity to get a result, be it through a referendum or a election, a majority government is always better"

His comments come amid a public campaign by some Conservative MPs against their party's leadership and against the reshuffle.

Mr Davis said the "shrinking team" - currently made up of Mr Davis, the civil service, George Osborne, Mr Cameron and Nicky Morgan - had a "clear and present danger of having no chance" at government if they were unceremoniously axed.

'Huge gulf between opinion and evidence'

He added: "We can expect we will go through this again - I mean every time you have a clear and present danger of having no chance in government then you have got to take it."

But David Davis has also been accused of orchestrating a purge, with one senior Tory minister describing his decisions as "totally wrong" and a "betrayal" of MPs who backed the government during the last election.

Image copyright PA

The minister said Mr Davis ha

Posted by Anonym on 27.05.2020 - 04:47

Odpovědět

Obrázkové CAPTCHA
Vložte písmena a čísla z obrázku.